Betula utilis 'Grayswood Ghost'
(Himalayan Birch) Betula utilis 'Grayswood Ghost' is an unusual, elegant small tree with a graceful habit and excellent silvery-white bark once established.
Spend £85+ on plants and get £10 off with code DECEMBER23 at checkout
Standard - £6.95*
(Free for orders over £65)
Priority - £15
(Within 1-2 working days)
Click & Collect
An unusual, small selection of silver birch with particularly good nearly ghost-like, silvery white bark when mature. The bark is particularly striking in the autumn and winter as it is revealed by the leaves falling, but also attractive all year round. The leaves are light green and can in a good autumn, briefly turn a pale yellow before falling.
One of the smaller and slow growing Himalayan Birch, Betula utilis var. jacquemontii 'Grayswood Ghost' is much more suitable than some of the other Birch we grow for gardens with limited horizontal space.
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Any fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate
- Habit: Betula utilis var. jacquemontii 'Grayswood Ghost' grows to be a small, elegant tree with a slender, habit.
- Height: up to approx 10 m (32 ft)
- Spread: 8 m (26 ft)
- Notes: For best effect, the bark should be scrubbed gently with a hand brush and water once a year. This removes any green algae or grime and helps to restore the colour. Bark colour can take 2 - 4 years to develop depending on position.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Light Shade
- Eventual Size
- Tree - Small (4m - 8m)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Dry/Sandy, Site: Windy, Soil: Alkaline, Soil: Acid, Soil: Not Fussy
- Special Features
- Ornamental Bark, Rare and Unusual