(Szechuan Pepper) A large hardy shrub, Zanthoxylum simulans has prickly stems and fine, pinnate leaves which turn lovely shades of creamy yellow in autumn.
(However due to high demand we are currently shipping orders within 6 - 10 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. Free P&P for orders over £250
A large hardy shrub, Zanthoxylum simulans has prickly stems and fine, pinnate leaves which turn lovely shades of creamy yellow in autumn. In late summer it bears good crops of small deep pink fruits. Native to eastern China and Taiwan.
Zanthoxylum simulans is a handsome plant and very drought tolerant, good in dry soils.
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Well drained soil. Enjoys dry soil conditions.
- Hardiness: Hardy. Zanthoxylum simulans enjoys shelter from cold winter winds.
- Rate of Growth: Slow until established then moderate.
- Habit: Zanthoxylum simulans grows to be a vase shaped medium sized shrub in the short term, eventually a very small branching tree.
- Height: 3 - 4 m (10 - 13 ft) / or up to 2.5 m (8 ft) after 10 years
- Spread: 2.5 - 3 m (8 - 10 ft) / or up to 2 m (6 ft) after 10 years.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Mature Size
- Tree - Small (under 20 ft tall), Shrub - Large (over 10 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Dry / Sandy, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy)
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour, Rare and Unusual, Fruit - Ornamental
You might also like