(Giant Feather Grass) A truly magnificent grass, Stipa gigantea is native to the grasslands of south-western Europe and is known for its tall flower heads.
(Delivery within approximately 3 - 5 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
A truly magnificent grass, Stipa gigantea is native to the grasslands of south-western Europe and is known for its tall flower heads. Tufted clumps of evergreen or semi-evergreen leaves are topped in summer by elegant panicles of flower spikelets, reaching over 2 m in height. The flowers are initially a purplish silver green, but turn a deep golden colour in late summer.
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Well drained, fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Rate of Growth: Vigorous.
- Habit: Stipa gigantea grows to be a tall clump forming grass but usually needs to become established before having the vigour necessary to reach its maximum height.
- Height: up to 2.5 m (8 ft)
- Spread: 1.2 m (4 ft)
- Notes: Ideally remove any dead leaves from Stipa gigantea in early spring to tidy up this plant for the new season.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Mature Size
- Grass - Large (over 6 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Dry / Sandy, Special: Coastal Areas, Soil Type: Chalky / Alkaline, Soil Type: Acid, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy)
- Special Features
- Flowering Season - Summer (June - August)
- On sale!