(Japanese Stephanandra) Stephanandra tanakae is an uncommon medium sized shrub native to the hills and mountainsides of Japan with arching stems, lovely dark green summer leaves and warm bright yellow, orange or red autumn colours.
Enter code autumn75 at checkout for 10% off plants on orders over £75 (web only)
Priority 1 - 2 day courier delivery service also available *Surcharges apply for Northern Scotland, Highlands & Islands
5% discount on all plants ordered via our website for collection from our nursery.
An uncommon shrub native to the hills and mountainsides of Japan with arching stems, lovely dark green summer leaves and warm orange or red autumn colours. In mid-summer Stephanandra tanakae has pretty cream coloured flowers which stand out well against the dark leaves.
Stephanandra tanakae is a hardy, robust and elegant plant suitable for sun or shade. Excellent for screening an area or being grown in a group as groundcover shrubs.
- Position: Full sun or shade.
- Soil: Any fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Flowering Period: July - September .
- Flower Colour: Creamy white
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Stephanandra tanakae grows to be a branching, medium sized shrub. Can be pruned to size if required.
- Height: up to 3 m (10 ft)
- Spread: 3 m (10 ft)
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Light Shade, Shade
- Eventual Size
- Shrub - Medium (1.5m - 3m)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Not Fussy, Site: Coastal Areas, Soil: Damp/Wet, Soil: Dry/Sandy, Site: Windy
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour, Flowers in Summer, Honey Fungus Resistant, Screening/Hedge