(Sargent's Rowan) Known for its glowing autumn colour and sticky buds, Sorbus sargentiana is an unusual and magnificent tree native to Sichuan province in western China.
Usually slow growing when young and not for instant gratification!
Spend £85+ on plants and get £10 off with code DECEMBER23 at checkout
Standard - £6.95*
(Free for orders over £50)
Priority - £15
(Within 1-2 working days)
Click & Collect
Known for its glowing autumn colour and sticky buds, Sorbus sargentiana is an unusual and magnificent tree native to Sichuan province in western China. Distinctive, large, crimson 'sticky buds' are visible in the dormant season similar to those of an Aesculus (Horse Chestnut).
The leaves are dark green and turn superb shades of rich-amber and red in October before falling, rivaling the autumn colours of Liquidambar or Acer. This is complimented by huge trusses of red berries in autumn and early winter.
Sorbus sargentiana is usually fairly slow growing when young and not for instant gratification, however once established makes a stunning small tree, ideal for gardens with limited space.
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Well drained, fertile soils.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Flowering Period: May.
- Flower Colour: White
- Rate of Growth: Slow until established then moderate.
- Habit: Small, branching, rounded tree.
- Height: Eventually up to 8 m (26 ft)
- Spread: 6 m (20 ft)
- Important Please Read - Sorbus (Rowan / Mountain Ash) species and cultivars are not and cannot be affected by the Ash disease, Chalara fraxinea. Despite the potentially confusing name, mountain ashes are actually in the rose family, Rosacaea, and are closely related to apples and pears etc. Fraxinus excelsior (Common ash), are in the olive family, Oleaceae and the wind born disease recently found in the UK is completely specific to this genus.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Light Shade
- Eventual Size
- Tree - Small (4m - 8m)
- Growing Conditions
- Site: Windy, Soil: Acid, Soil: Not Fussy
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour, Fruit - Ornamental, Wildlife Friendly - Birds