(Ague Tree) Rare in the UK, Sassafras albidum grows to be a small tree with variable leaves, usually with conspicuous lobes and stunning autumn colour.
This plant is currently unavailable and we sadly do not have any more in the pipeline for the near future. It will be a long wait but please enter your email address below if you are interested in this plant once back in stock.
Spend £85+ on plants and get £10 off with code DECEMBER23 at checkout
Standard - £6.95*
(Free for orders over £50)
Priority - £15
(Within 1-2 working days)
Click & Collect
Rare in the UK, Sassafras albidum grows to be a small tree with variable leaves, usually with conspicuous lobes and stunning autumn colour. The leaves are pale green through spring and summer, turning vivid shades of orange, red or yellow before falling in autumn.
Sassafras albidum is most suited for a moist, well drained soil and enjoys a sheltered position from the wind. Excellent choice of tree for foliage interest through the year.
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Well drained, moist soils. Avoid areas prone to waterlogging.
- Hardiness: Hardy but Sassafras albidum can be fickle and requires protection from late spring frost when young.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Sassafras albidum grows to be a small or eventually medium sized tree, pyramidal when young and generally rounded once mature.
- Height: 12 m (40 ft)
- Spread: 8 m (26 ft)
- Notes: Please also note that Sassafras albidum is generally hardy but can be a fickle and difficult plant, suitable for experienced gardeners only. As such, it is not covered by our normal guarantee.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun
- Eventual Size
- Tree - Small (4m - 8m)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Damp/Wet, Soil: Acid
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour, Rare and Unusual