(Chinese Sassafras) Very rare in the UK, Sassafras tzumu is native to parts of China with tri-lobed bright green summer leaves which turn bright orange, red and yellow autumn colour before falling.
(Delivery within approximately 3 - 5 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
Very rare in the UK, Sassafras tzumu is native to parts of China with tri-lobed bright green summer leaves which turn bright orange, red and yellow autumn colour before falling. In a very hot position, established plants will have clusters of vivid yellow flowers in late winter/early Spring.
Sassafras tzumu is most suited for a moist, well drained soil and enjoys a sheltered position from the wind with lots of heat.
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Well drained, moist soils. Will not tolerate water logging.
- Hardiness: Somewhat hardy but Sassafras tzumu can be fickle and requires protection from late spring frost when young.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Sassafras tzumu grows to be a small or eventually medium sized tree, pyramidal when young and generally rounded once mature.
- Height: 8 - 10 m (26 - 32 ft)
- Spread: 3 - 4 m (10 - 12 ft)
- Notes: Please also note that Sassafras tzumu is generally somewhat hardy but can be a fickle and difficult plant, suitable for experienced gardeners only. As such, it is not covered by our normal guarantee.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun
- Mature Size
- Tree - Small (under 20 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Acid, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy)
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour, Flowering Season - Winter (December - February)