Sambucus 'Black Tower'
(Columnar Elder) An eye-catching, slow growing, slender shrub, Sambucus 'Black Tower' has dark purple-black leaves and a dense, columnar, upright habit once established.
Free delivery for orders over £150
*Surcharges apply for Islands & Scottish Highlands . We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
Secure payment by VISA / Mastercard with Sagepay (Opayo)
An eye-catching new cultivar, Sambucus 'Black Tower' has dark purple-black leaves and a dense, columnar, upright habit once established. Flattened umbels (clusters) of small, white & pink flowers appear in midsummer, followed by masses of small black fruit which are popular with birds and wildlife.
A spectacular foliage plant suitable for gardens with limited space or for growing in a large container. This is a slow growing shrub and not for instant gratification.
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade..
- Soil: Any fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Flowering Period: June.
- Flower Colour: White & pink
- Rate of Growth: Slow.
- Habit: Eventually a medium sized, columnar shrub.
- Height: 2 - 2.5 m (6 - 8 ft)
- Spread: 1 - 1.2 m (3 - 4 ft)
- How Much Sun
- Partial or Dappled Shade, Full Sun
- Mature Size
- Shrub - Medium (5 - 10 ft)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Most Soils, Soil Type: Acid, Soil Type: Chalky / Alkaline, Special: Coastal Areas, Special: Windy & Exposed, Soil Type: Dry / Sandy, Soil Type: Damp / Wet
- Special Features
- Habit - Narrow, Honey Fungus Resistant, To grow in a pot, Leaf Colour - Purple/Red