Sambucus nigra 'Black Beauty'
(Black Elder) A superb cultivar, Sambucus nigra 'Black Beauty' has rich purple-black foliage and flattened umbels (clusters) of deep pink flowers in midsummer, followed by masses of small black fruit which are popular with birds and wildlife.
(Delivery within approximately 4 - 6 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
A superb cultivar, Sambucus nigra 'Black Beauty' has rich purple-black foliage and flattened umbels (clusters) of deep pink flowers in midsummer, followed by masses of small black fruit. The berries are popular with birds and wildlife.
A spectacular and easy to grow foliage plant with best leaf colour if planted in a sunny spot!
- Position: Full sun.
- Soil: Any fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Flowering Period: June.
- Flower Colour: Deep pink
- Rate of Growth: Moderate to vigorous.
- Habit: Large branching shrub with an upright, rounded habit.
- Height: 3 m (10 ft)
- Spread: 2.5 m (8 ft)
- Notes: Sambucus nigra 'Black Beauty' can be pruned back hard if required.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Mature Size
- Shrub - Large (over 10 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy), Soil Type: Acid, Soil Type: Chalky / Alkaline, Special: Coastal Areas, Soil Type: Damp / Wet, Soil Type: Dry / Sandy, Special: Windy & Exposed
- Special Features
- Flowering Season - Summer (June - August), Good for Wildlife (Insects including bees & butterflies), Leaf Colour - Purple/Red, Honey Fungus Resistant