Populus tremula 'Erecta'
(Columnar Aspen) Populus tremula 'Erecta' is a striking, remarkably narrow, fast growing tree with pretty, rounded leaves which turn golden-orange and a rich burgundy-red in early autumn.
Spend £85+ on plants and get £10 off with code DECEMBER23 at checkout
Standard - £6.95*
(Free for orders over £65)
Priority - £15
(Within 1-2 working days)
Click & Collect
We first saw this remarkable fastigiate poplar in Norway where it was flourishing despite the bitterly cold winters. Populus tremula 'Erecta' is a striking, remarkably narrow, fast growing tree with pretty, rounded leaves which turn golden-orange and a rich burgundy-red in early autumn.
A highly ornamental standalone tree, this also looks fantastic when several are planted near each other (with a spacing of about 1.5 - 2 m apart) as a tightly packed group.
- Position: Full sun or partial shade.
- Soil: Any fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Rate of Growth: Vigorous.
- Habit: Populus tremula 'Erecta' grows to be a narrow, upright, medium sized tree.
- Height: 10 - 12 m (32 - 40 ft)
- Spread: Up to 2 m (6 ft)
- Notes: Populus tremula 'Erecta' has a vigorous root system and they should not be planted close to drains or house foundations.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Light Shade
- Eventual Size
- Tree - Medium (8m - 15m)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Not Fussy, Site: Coastal Areas, Soil: Damp/Wet, Soil: Dry/Sandy, Site: Windy
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour, Habit - Narrow, Screening/Hedge