Physocarpus opulifolius 'Diablo'
(Ninebark) An ornamental species native to Central and Eastern North America, Physocarpus opulifolius 'Diablo' is a flowering shrub with superb, rich-chocolate purple coloured leaves all summer.
(However due to high demand we are currently shipping orders within 10 - 15 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. Free P&P for orders over £250
An ornamental species native to Central and Eastern North America, Physocarpus opulifolius 'Diablo' is a flowering shrub with superb, rich-chocolate purple coloured leaves all summer. This dark foliage is an excellent backdrop for masses of white flowers in mid-summer.
A magnificent foliage plant, this looks particularly good when planted as part of a mixed border and makes a striking foil for plants with white, silver or golden leaves.
- Position: Full sun or partial shade.
- Soil: Well drained, fertile soil. Will tolerate damp but well drained soil (avoid waterlogged areas).
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Flowering Period: June - July.
- Flower Colour: White
- Rate of Growth: Vigorous.
- Habit: Medium sized, densely branching, rounded shrub.
- Height: up to 3 m (10 ft)
- Spread: 5 m (16 ft)
- Notes: A specimen of Physocarpus opulifolius 'Diablo', planted in the arboretum surrounding our nursery had reached a height of 2.5 m and a spread of 4 m after 12 years.
- How Much Sun
- Partial or Dappled Shade, Full Sun
- Mature Size
- Shrub - Medium (5 - 10 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Dry / Sandy, Soil Type: Acid, Soil Type: Damp / Wet, Special: Windy & Exposed, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy)
- Special Features
- Leaf Colour - Purple/Red, To grow in a pot, Screening/Hedge
You might also like