Phygelius 'African Queen'
(Cape figwort) A handsome upright perennial shrub native to South Africa which has dark green leaves and spikes of tubular, vibrant orange-red flowers in summer.
Superb display of late summer flowers, usually best in a position with plenty of sun. Can be grown well in a large container.
Spend £85+ on plants and get £10 off with code DECEMBER23 at checkout
Standard - £6.95*
(Free for orders over £50)
Priority - £15
(Within 1-2 working days)
Click & Collect
A handsome upright perennial shrub native to South Africa, Phygelius x rectus 'African Queen' has dark green leaves and vibrant orange-red flowers in summer. In warm, mild areas it is evergreen but in colder parts of the country it will die back each year and regrown in Spring like a herbaceous perennial.
Most suited for a hot, sunny position with shelter from strong winds. Avoid planting in cold, exposed areas.
- Position: Full sun.
- Soil: Most well drained soil. Avoid wet or waterlogged ground.
- Hardiness: Somewhat hardy. Evergreen in mild areas but will die back in cold parts of the country. In cold areas requires a very warm, sheltered spot and protection in winter.
- Flowering Period: July - August.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Phygelius x rectus 'African Queen' is a suckering shrub/perennial.
- Height: up to 120 - 150 cm (4 - 5 ft)
- Spread: 100 - 120 cm (3 - 4 ft)
- How Much Sun
- Light Shade, Full Sun
- Eventual Size
- Herbaceous - Medium (0.6m - 1.2m)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Not Fussy, Soil: Acid, Soil: Alkaline, Site: Coastal Areas
- Special Features
- Flowers in Summer, Evergreen, Suitable for Containers