Phormium 'Back in Black'
(New Zealand flax) An evergreen shrub, Phormium 'Back in Black' has a compact habit with narrow, nearly black upright leaves once established.
(Delivery within approximately 4 - 6 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
An evergreen plant, Phormium 'Back in Black' has a compact habit with narrow, nearly black upright leaves once established. Foliage colour will be most eye-catching if planted in a warm, sunny position. Can be grown in a large container if required.
- Position: Full sun.
- Soil: Well drained yet moist, fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Somewhat hardy. Phormium 'Back in Black' is very tolerant of sea winds and coastal gardens.
- Rate of Growth: Slow to moderate.
- Habit: Eventually a small shrub with a compact habit.
- Height: 80 - 100 cm (2 - 3 ft)
- Spread: 60 - 80 cm (2 ft)
- Notes: Although Phormium is generally hardy in mild or coastal parts of the UK, it can still be severely damaged or killed if left unprotected in a cold winter. As such it is not covered by our normal guarantee.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun
- Mature Size
- Shrub - Small (less than 5 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Dry / Sandy, Special: Coastal Areas, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy)
- Special Features
- Evergreen, To grow in a pot, Honey Fungus Resistant, Leaf Colour - Purple/Red
- On sale!