(Foxglove Tree or Empress Tree) Paulownia tomentosa is a lovely medium sized flowering tree with very large, green leaves which can be up to 40 - 60 cm in diameter native to the woods of Western China.
Free delivery for orders over £150
*Surcharges apply for Islands & Scottish Highlands . We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
Secure payment by VISA / Mastercard with Sagepay (Opayo)
Native to the woods of Western China, Paulownia tomentosa is a lovely flowering tree with very large, green leaves which can be up to 40 - 60 cm in diameter. Mature trees develop huge spikes of cream and mauve, foxglove-like flowers in a hot summer!
Paulownia can be kept small and grown as a spectacular foliage shrub if required, as pruning it back hard in April causes it to develop a bushy habit and spectacular, giant downy leaves. If left unpruned, Paulownia will grow to be handsome garden tree.
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Moist or well drained, fertile soil. Avoid waterlogged areas.
- Hardiness: Reasonably hardy. Paulownia tomentosa can suffer some die back after very cold winters, especially as a young plant and will grow best in a warm sunny garden. Shelter from cold winds.
- Flowering Period: May.
- Flower Colour: Cream and mauve
- Rate of Growth: Moderate to vigorous (with plants in warm areas growing more quickly).
- Habit: Medium sized branching tree.
- Height: 12 m (40 ft)
- Spread: 10 m (32 ft)
- Notes: In colder areas of the U.K. overwintering flower buds can be caught and damaged by severe frosts in winter and therefore Paulownia tomentosa are more likely to flower well in warm, sheltered areas
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun
- Mature Size
- Tree - Medium (20 - 50 ft)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Damp / Wet, Soil Type: Dry / Sandy, Special: Coastal Areas, Soil Type: Most Soils
- Special Features
- Honey Fungus Resistant, Flowering in Summer, Leaf Shape - Unusual
- On sale!
- On sale!