(Hop Hornbeam) Ostrya carpinifolia is an attractive, ornamental tree with eye-catching catkins first introduced to the UK in the early-18th century from the Mediterranean region.
(Delivery within approximately 5 - 8 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
This attractive, ornamental tree is a early-18th century introduction to the UK from the Mediterranean region. It has veined, lush green, Carpinus-like leaves which can turn butter yellow in a good, crisp autumn.
Once established, it also has small, white, pendent flowers in late spring followed by fascinating large catkins later in the year. A fine tree suitable for most gardens and woodland areas.
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Fertile, damp or moist soil. (Avoid waterlogged areas)
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Ostrya carpinifolia grows to be a medium to large branching tree once established.
- Height: 15 - 20 m (50 - 65 ft)
- Spread: 15 m (50 ft)
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun
- Mature Size
- Tree - Medium (20 - 50 ft tall), Tree - Large (over 50 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Damp / Wet, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy), Soil Type: Dry / Sandy
- Special Features
- Catkins, Honey Fungus Resistant, Screening/Hedge
You might also likeNew Price Each £32.00New Price Each £60.00New Price Each £9.95New Price Each £9.95New Price Each £15.00Regular price £15.00 -10% New Price Each £13.50
New Price Each £12.95New Price Each £19.95
- On sale!