Carpinus betulus 'Frans Fontaine'
(Columnar Hornbeam) Carpinus betulus 'Frans Fontaine' is an outstanding narrow tree which was selected originally from a columnar street tree found in Eindhoven in the Netherlands.
Free delivery for orders over £75*
*Surcharges apply for Highlands & Islands
An outstanding narrow form of hornbeam which was selected originally from a columnar street tree found in Eindhoven in the Netherlands. A little similar to the more common form, Carpinus betulus 'Fastigiata' but with a more narrow, tight habit of growth and deeply veined foliage which is lush green in spring and summer before turning a rich mustard-yellow in autumn.
The very narrow habit makes this Carpinus, suitable for even the smallest of gardens and also for growing as an avenue tree!
- Position: Full sun or partial shade.
- Soil: Fertile, well drained soil. Carpinus betulus 'Fastigiata' is tolerant of dry soil conditions.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Carpinus betulus 'Fastigiata' grows to be a medium sized tree with an exceptionally narrow habit.
- Height: 15 m (50 ft)
- Spread: 3 m (10 ft)
- Notes: A specimen of Carpinus betulus 'Frans Fontaine', planted in the arboretum surrounding our nursery had reached a height of 5 m, a spread of 1 m after 12 years.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Light Shade
- Eventual Size
- Tree - Medium, Tree - Small
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Not Fussy, Soil: Alkaline, Soil: Dry/Sandy, Site: Windy
- Special Features
- Habit - Narrow, Honey Fungus Resistant, Screening/Hedge