(Royal Fern) Osmunda regalis is an elegant large fern with tall stalks unfurling into fronds which stay bright green all year before turning a warm golden, cinnamon-brown colour in autumn.
(Delivery within approximately 3 - 5 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
An elegant, large fern with tall stalks unfurling into fronds which stay bright green all year before turning a warm golden, cinnamon-brown colour in autumn. In the summer once established, spore-bearing fronds appear, from a distance looking like faded flower heads.
Osmunda regalis is a superb plant for a shady spot and looks particularly good next to streams or ponds.
- Position: Sun or shade.
- Soil: Moist, fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Flowering Period: June - August.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Osmunda regalis grows to be large, clump forming fern.
- Height: up to 2 m (6 ft)
- Spread: up to 3 - 4 m (10 - 13 ft)
- Notes: For enhanced winter interest, do not cut back down the dead, golden-brown fronds until late winter.
- How Much Sun
- Partial or Dappled Shade, Full Sun, Shade
- Mature Size
- Herbaceous - Large (Tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy), Soil Type: Damp / Wet
- Special Features
- Flowering Season - Summer (June - August), To grow in a pot