Liquidambar styraciflua 'Slender Silhouette'
Liquidambar styraciflua 'Slender Silhouette' is a very narrow, columnar tree with superb orange and red autumn colour. Very suited for gardens with limited space.
(Surcharges may apply for Highlands, Islands & other areas, please click for further details)
(Columnar Sweet Gum) A splendid new introduction to the United Kingdom, Liquidambar styraciflua 'Slender Silhouette' is an exceptionally narrow tree with good strong red and orange autumn colour. Once established, a 5 m tall specimen will have a spread of only 1 m.
Liquidambar styraciflua 'Slender Silhouette' is an excellent choice of tree for a garden with limited space.
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Moist, fertile soil. Liquidambar styraciflua 'Slender Silhouette' will grow well in most areas but will produce its most bright and vivid autumn colour in lime free or acidic soils.
- Hardiness: Reasonably hardy. Young plants can suffer die back after very severe late spring frosts, but usually recover well.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Eventually a medium sized tree with a very narrow, upright form.
- Height: 18 m (60 ft) / up to 3 - 4 m (10 - 13 ft) after 10 years
- Spread: 2 m (6 ft) / up to 1 m (3 ft) after 10 years
- Notes: The autumn colour of individual plants will vary according to weather and in particular the pH of your soil. The best, most vivid colours will occur in lime-free or acid soils. A liberal annual application of flowers of sulphur around the base of a Liquidambar, at a rate of up to 2 oz. per square yard on neutral or slightly alkaline soils will slowly lower the pH and intensify the autumn colour!
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Eventual Size
- Tree - Small (under 20 ft tall), Tree - Medium (20 - 50 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Damp / Wet, Soil Type: Acid, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy)
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour, Habit - Narrow
You might also like