Liquidambar styraciflua 'Slender Silhouette'
Liquidambar styraciflua 'Slender Silhouette' is a very narrow, columnar tree with superb orange and red autumn colour. Very suited for gardens with limited space.
However following government guidelines our nursery site is closed to visitors for the time being.
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. Free P&P for orders over £250
Please call our office on (01530) 413700
(Columnar Sweet Gum) A splendid new introduction to the United Kingdom, Liquidambar styraciflua 'Slender Silhouette' is an exceptionally narrow tree with good strong red and orange autumn colour. Once established, a 5 m tall specimen will have a spread of only 1 m.
Liquidambar styraciflua 'Slender Silhouette' is an excellent choice of tree for a garden with limited space.
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Moist, fertile soil. Liquidambar styraciflua 'Slender Silhouette' will grow well in most areas but will produce its most bright and vivid autumn colour in lime free or acidic soils.
- Hardiness: Reasonably hardy. Young plants can suffer die back after very severe late spring frosts, but usually recover well.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Eventually a medium sized tree with a very narrow, upright form.
- Height: 18 m (60 ft) / up to 3 - 4 m (10 - 13 ft) after 10 years
- Spread: 2 m (6 ft) / up to 1 m (3 ft) after 10 years
- Notes: The autumn colour of individual plants will vary according to weather and in particular the pH of your soil. The best, most vivid colours will occur in lime-free or acid soils. A liberal annual application of flowers of sulphur around the base of a Liquidambar, at a rate of up to 2 oz. per square yard on neutral or slightly alkaline soils will slowly lower the pH and intensify the autumn colour!
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Mature Size
- Tree - Small (under 20 ft tall), Tree - Medium (20 - 50 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Damp / Wet, Soil Type: Acid, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy)
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour, Habit - Narrow
You might also like