Liquidambar styraciflua 'Lane Roberts'
(Sweet Gum) Liquidambar styraciflua 'Lane Roberts' is a medium sized tree known for its marvellous, rich blackish-red autumn colours, like the embers of a fire.
Spend £85+ on plants and get £10 off with code DECEMBER23 at checkout
Standard - £6.95*
(Free for orders over £50)
Priority - £15
(Within 1-2 working days)
Click & Collect
Liquidambar styraciflua 'Lane Roberts' is a medium sized tree known for its marvellous, rich blackish-red autumn colours, like the embers of a fire. A beautiful garden tree for autumn colour.Famous cultivar which is named after the gynaecologist who delivered two infants who were both destined to become Presidents of the Royal Horticultural Society.
Best autumn colour is usually seen if planted in a position with plenty of sunlight.
- Position: Full sun.
- Soil: Moist, fertile soil. Liquidambar styraciflua 'Lane Roberts' will grow well in most areas but will produce its most bright and vivid autumn colour in lime free or acidic soils.
- Hardiness: Reasonably hardy. Young plants can suffer die back after very severe late spring frosts, but usually recover well.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate to vigorous.
- Habit: Medium sized or eventually a large, branching tree.
- Height: 18 m (60 ft).
- Spread: 12 m (40 ft).
- Notes: The autumn colour of individual plants will vary according to weather and in particular the pH of your soil. The best, most vivid colours will occur in lime-free or acid soils. A liberal annual application of flowers of sulphur around the base of a Liquidambar, at a rate of up to 2 oz. per square yard on neutral or slightly alkaline soils will slowly lower the pH and intensify the autumn colour!
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun
- Eventual Size
- Tree - Medium (8m - 15m)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Acid, Soil: Not Fussy
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour