Ilex crenata 'Mariesii'
(Dwarf Japanese Holly) An evergreen, dwarf and very slow growing holly, Ilex crenata 'Mariesii' is suitable for growing in a container and has has clusters of handsome small glossy, dark green leaves.
(Delivery within approximately 4 - 6 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
An evergreen, dwarf and very slow growing holly, Ilex crenata 'Mariesii' is suitable for growing in a container and has has clusters of handsome small glossy, dark green leaves. The leaves look a little similar to those of Buxus (box) and established plants have attractive black fruit in winter.
Ilex crenata 'Mariesii' grows with an irregular yet upright habit and is suitable for growing in even the smallest of gardens.
For very patient gardeners, several plants can be grown together to make an eye-catching low hedge.
- Position: Full sun or shade.
- Soil: Most fertile soils. Like many hollies, Ilex crenata 'Mariesii' dislikes wet sites or soil prone to waterlogging.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Flowering Period: April.
- Flower Colour: White
- Rate of Growth: Very slow.
- Habit: Ilex crenata 'Mariesii' grows to be a small compact, upright shrub. May be pruned to size if required.
- Height: up to 1.5 m (5 ft).
- Spread: 1 m (3 ft).
- Notes: This is a female form and will require pollination from a male holly to produce fruit.. This plant is very slow growing. A specimen of Ilex crenata 'Mariesii', planted in the arboretum surrounding our nursery had reached a height of 0.75 m, a spread of 0.5 m after 10 years.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade, Shade
- Mature Size
- Shrub - Small (less than 5 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Special: Coastal Areas, Soil Type: Acid, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy)
- Special Features
- Evergreen, Screening/Hedge, To grow in a pot, Habit - Architectural
- On sale!