Hamamelis x intermedia 'Pallida'
(Witch Hazel) One of our favourite winter flowering shrubs, Hamamelis x intermedia 'Pallida' has masses of sweetly scented bright yellow flowers in late winter once established.
(Surcharges apply for Highlands & Islands. Click for delivery info)
Please call our office on (01530) 413700
Order before 20th December for Christmas delivery
A sensational and popular witch hazel with lovely, scented sulphur yellow flowers that are borne in abundance in late winter and early spring. The leaves also have good yellow, orange and red autumn colour. This is a lovely specimen plant which is ideal for adding interest to a sunny winter border where its fragrance can be appreciated. Flowering twigs can be cut to perfume rooms in winter.
Hamamelis x intermedia 'Pallida' is a spreading, deciduous shrub or very small tree with flowers that give excellent late winter interest. Attractive leaves and good autumn colour in October.
One of the favourite cultivars of Chris Lane, (photo above middle) amongst his National Collection of Hamamelis in Kent. For further reading, we recommend Chris Lane's monograph, "Witch Hazels", published by Timber Press for the Royal Horticultural Society.
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Well drained, fertile soil. Hamamelis x intermedia 'Pallida' dislikes shallow, chalk soil and will not grow well in wet or waterlogged conditions.
- Hardiness: Hardy. As a young plant, Hamamelis x intermedia 'Pallida' may require protection from severe, late spring frosts once the young leaves have emerged in spring.
- Flowering Period: January - March.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Hamamelis x intermedia 'Pallida' grows to be a wide, spreading shrub or very small tree in time.
- Height: 2.5 m (8 ft).
- Spread: 3 m (10 ft).
- Notes: In soils which may become wet in winter, it is a good idea to mound-plant Hamamelis to improve the drainage around the root system.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Eventual Size
- Shrub - Large (over 10 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Acid, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy)
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour, Flowering Season - Winter (December - February), To grow in a pot
You might also like