Gleditsia triacanthos 'Sunburst'
Colourful tree originally native to North America, Gleditsia triacanthos 'Sunburst' has beautiful, fern-like, golden leaves which retains their colour all summer.
(Delivery within approximately 3 - 5 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
Colourful tree originally native to North America, Gleditsia triacanthos 'Sunburst' has beautiful, fern-like, golden leaves which retains their colour all summer. The golden foliage is particularly noticeable when this tree is planted against a dark green background.
A low maintenance tree, Gleditsia triacanthos 'Sunburst' has an attractive mop-headed habit once established and is suitable for planting as a stand alone specimen or as part of a border.
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Well drained, fertile soil. Excellent in dry soils.
- Hardiness: Hardy. Gleditsia triacanthos 'Sunburst' tolerates atmospheric pollution and grows well in urban environments.
- Rate of Growth: Slow until settled down then moderate.
- Habit: Small mop-headed tree.
- Height: Eventually up to 8 - 10 m (26 - 32 ft) / or up to 3 - 4 m (10 - 13 ft) after 10 years
- Spread: 8 m (26 ft) / or up to 2.5 - 3 m (8 - 10 ft) after 10 years
Cultivated in Britain since the early 18th century, the Honey Locust comes from Central & Eastern U.S.A. The specific name, triacanthos, refers to the groups of three thorns which heavily amour the wild form.
This beautiful golden leaved selection was raised in 1954, and is virtually thornless, making it an excellent garden tree. It is a member of the Leguminosae (pea and bean) family which all dislike water logging and excessive use of nitrogenous fertilisers.
The common name derives from its resemblance to the Locust Tree, Robinia and the honey-like sweet pulp in which the seeds are set.
Extract from an information poster in our arboretum
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun
- Mature Size
- Tree - Small (under 20 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Dry / Sandy, Soil Type: Acid, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy)
- Special Features
- Leaf Colour - Gold/Yellow