(Japanese Aralia) Fatsia japonica is a handsome medium to large evergreen shrub with huge, shiny green leaves and white flowers in late summer.
Native to Japan, Fatsia japonica is a handsome evergreen shrub with large, leathery, dark green leaves sometimes up to 30 - 40 cm across. Established plants produce panicles of milky-white flowers in late summer or early autumn.
Fatsia japonica is an excellent evergreen plant for a sheltered, shady corner. Not usually suitable for windy, exposed gardens.
- Position: Warm, sheltered from wind dappled or heavy shade.
- Soil: Most soils.
- Hardiness: Somewhat hardy. Fatsia japonica requires shelter from wind and may need protection in cold winters.
- Flowering Period: August - September.
- Flower Colour: White.
- Rate of Growth: Slow to moderate.
- Habit: Fatsia japonica grows to be a medium sized or eventually large shrub. In very warm, mild areas over time it could grow to be a small tree.
- Height: up to 2 - 3 m (6 - 10 ft).
- Spread: 2.5 m (8 ft).
- Notes: Please be aware that Fatsia japonica can be a fickle and difficult plant in the winter or if planted in a poor position. As such, it is not covered by our normal guarantee.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Light Shade, Shade
- Eventual Size
- Shrub - Medium (1.5m - 3m), Shrub - Large (3m+)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Not Fussy, Soil: Acid, Soil: Damp/Wet, Soil: Dry/Sandy
- Special Features
- Suitable for Containers, Evergreen, Foliage - Unusual Shape