(Winged Spindle or Burning Bush) Euonymus alatus is a medium sized, densely branching shrub with dark green summer leaves and excellent bright red autumn colour.
(Delivery within approximately 4 - 6 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
A shrub known for its superb red autumn colour, Euonymus alatusis a slow growing and also has distinctive corky 'wings' on its branchlets. The leaves are bright green and turn spectacular shades of crimson-scarlet in autumn and under favourable conditions can last on the plant for several weeks before falling.
Small numbers of vivid purplish-red fruit appear on the branches when mature. Superb medium sized shrub for creating a vivid display of autumn colour in your garden!
- Position: Full sun or partial shade.
- Soil: Any fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Flowering Period: July - August.
- Flower Colour: Pale yellow
- Rate of Growth: Slow to moderate.
- Habit: Euonymus alatus grows to be a medium sized, densely branching shrub.
- Height: 2.5 m (8 ft).
- Spread: 3 m (10 ft).
- Notes: Although Euonymus alatus does produce ornamental fruit, Euonymus phellomanus or Euonymus planipes are a much better choice if you prefer a plant with ornamental fruit, rather than autumn colour.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Mature Size
- Shrub - Medium (5 - 10 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Chalky / Alkaline, Soil Type: Acid, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy), Special: Windy & Exposed
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour, Screening/Hedge, To grow in a pot, Ornamental Bark / Colourful Winter Stems
- On sale!
- On sale!