(Winter's bark) Originally from Argentina and Chile, Drimys winteri is an evergreen shrub or small tree with large bright green, leathery leaves which are aromatic when crushed.
(Surcharges apply for Highlands & Islands. Click for delivery info)
Please call our office on (01530) 413700
Order before 20th December for Christmas delivery
Originally from Argentina and Chile, Drimys winteri is an evergreen shrub or small tree with large bright green, leathery leaves which are aromatic when crushed. The leaves have an attractive silvery-white underside and clusters of fragrant, creamy-white flowers appear on the branches in late spring and early summer. Mature plants have a wonderful, mahogany coloured bark.
Drimys winteri is an attractive garden plant with year round interest which is ideally suited for warmer gardens or coastal areas.
- Position: Warm in full sun or partial shade.
- Soil: Moist, fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Somewhat hardy. Drimys winteri requires a warm position and shelter from cold winter winds. Protect in severe winters.
- Flowering Period: May - June.
- Flower Colour: Creamy white
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Drimys winteri grows to be a large multi-stemmed shrub or eventually a small tree. In cold areas it may be burnt back by the winter cold and grow only as a small shrub.
- Height: up to 6 m (20 ft). Much smaller in cold areas.
- Spread: 4 m (13 ft).
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Eventual Size
- Shrub - Large (over 10 ft tall), Tree - Small (under 20 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy), Special: Coastal Areas, Soil Type: Damp / Wet
- Special Features
- Evergreen, Flowering Season - Summer (June - August), Ornamental Bark / Colourful Winter Stems
You might also like