A native of China and Japan, this is a very rare plant and one of the most beautiful of all shrubs, with a fantastic display of foliage colour in autumn.
This plant is only available in small numbers and is very rarely listed for sale.
(Delivery within approximately 3 - 5 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
A native of China and Japan, this is a very rare plant and one of the most beautiful of all shrubs, with a fantastic display of foliage colour in autumn. Disanthus cercidifolius has bright green leaves in spring and summer which turn glorious shades of coppery-gold, orange and red, sometimes in concentric rings in autumn before falling.
The leaves are also heart-shaped and very similar in appearance to those of a Cercis, hence the species name. A truly lovely garden plant, Disanthus cercidifolius is ideal for brightening the autumn gloom with its glowing colours.
- Position: Partial or reasonably heavy shade.
- Soil: Moist yet well drained, acidic, fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Disanthus cercidifolius is perfectly hardy while dormant in mid winter. It is however vulnerable to late spring frosts once the leaves have emerged in spring. If a frost occurs after the leaves have emerged, it will require protection (for example: covering the plant with a fleece cover, etc). If left unprotected in a severe late spring frost, Disanthus cercidifolius will probably die.
- Flowering Period: October.
- Flower Colour: Purplish-red
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Large branching shrub.
- Height: 3 m (10 ft).
- Spread: 3 m (10 ft).
- Important Please Read: The severe consequences of leaving this expensive plant unprotected in a late spring frost means that Disanthus cercidifolius is usually best grown by keen gardeners who are prepared to protect it in the spring or by people in warm, reliably mild parts of the U.K. where late frosts are a very rare event.
- Please be aware that Disanthus cercidifolius can be a fickle and difficult plant in the winter, if caught by frost or if planted in a poor position. As such, it is not covered by our guarantee.
- How Much Sun
- Partial or Dappled Shade
- Mature Size
- Shrub - Medium (5 - 10 ft tall), Shrub - Large (over 10 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Damp / Wet, Soil Type: Acid
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour, Rare and Unusual, Leaf Shape - Unusual or Large
- On sale!