Disanthus cercidifolius 'Ena-nishiki'
A very rare plant in the UK, Disanthus cercidifolius 'Ena-nishiki' has handsome green, heart-shaped leaves with a creamy, variegated edge.
This plant is only available in small numbers and is very rarely listed for sale.
(Delivery within approximately 3 - 5 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
A very rare plant in the UK, Disanthus cercidifolius 'Ena-nishiki' has handsome green, heart-shaped leaves with a creamy, variegated edge. In the autumn the leaves turn vivid shades of red and purple before falling.
Disanthus cercidifolius 'Ena-nishiki' is a spectacular plant, best suited to a position in light, dappled shade.
- Position: Partial or reasonably heavy shade.
- Soil: Moist yet well drained, acidic, fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Disanthus cercidifolius 'Ena-nishiki' is perfectly hardy while dormant in mid winter. It is however vulnerable to late spring frosts once the leaves have emerged in spring. If a frost occurs after the leaves have emerged, it will require protection (for example: covering the plant with a fleece cover, etc). If left unprotected in a severe late spring frost, Disanthus cercidifolius 'Ena-nishiki' will probably die.
- Flowering Period: October.
- Flower Colour: Purplish-red
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Disanthus cercidifolius 'Ena-nishiki' grows to be a large branching shrub.
- Height: 3 m (10 ft).
- Spread: 3 m (10 ft).
- Important Please Read: The severe consequences of leaving this expensive plant unprotected in a late spring frost means that Disanthus cercidifolius 'Ena-nishiki' is usually best grown by keen gardeners who are prepared to protect it in the spring or by people in warm, reliably mild parts of the U.K. where late frosts are a very rare event.
Please also note that although we usually guarantee plants for a year after purchase, we will NOT replace a Disanthus which is damaged or killed in a late spring frost.
- How Much Sun
- Partial or Dappled Shade
- Mature Size
- Shrub - Medium (5 - 10 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Acid, Soil Type: Damp / Wet
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour, Leaf Colour - Variegated, Rare and Unusual