(Chilean lantern tree) Introduced from Chile in 1848, Crinodendron hookerianum has colourful, lantern-like flowers which makes it one of the most striking evergreen shrubs in cultivation.
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. Free P&P for orders over £250
Please call our office on (01530) 413700
Order before 20th December for Christmas delivery
Introduced from Chile in 1848, Crinodendron hookerianum has colourful, lantern-like flowers which makes it one of the most striking evergreen shrubs in cultivation. The name comes from the Greek words 'krinon' meaning 'lily' and dendron meaning 'tree'. In midsummer Crinodendron bears beautiful crimson flowers, each suspended on a long stalk.
Crinodendron hookerianum is a lovely evergreen shrub and grows particularly well against a sunny south or west facing wall. Not suitable for cold, exposed gardens in our opinion.
- Position: Full sun or partial shade.
- Soil: Well drained, acid soil.
- Hardiness: Somewhat hardy. Crinodendron hookerianum requires shelter from cold winter winds and protection in sever winters.
- Flowering Period: May - June.
- Flower Colour: Crimson
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Medium sized or eventually large, branching shrub.
- Height: 3 m (10 ft) - Potentially larger in very warm parts of the United Kingdom.
- Spread: 3 m (10 ft)
- Important: After a particularly cold, frosty spell in winter, some leaves of Crinodendron hookerianum may fall or bruise a little and turn bronze/purple in colour. It generally recovers well and new leaves will emerge in the following year.
- How Much Sun
- Partial or Dappled Shade, Full Sun
- Eventual Size
- Shrub - Large (over 10 ft tall), Shrub - Medium (5 - 10 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Acid, Soil Type: Damp / Wet
- Special Features
- Evergreen, Flowering Season - Summer (June - August), To grow in a pot
You might also like