Crataegus prunifolia 'Splendens'
(Broad-leaved Hawthorn) Popular and handsome small tree, Crataegus prunifolia 'Splendens' has probably the finest display of rich orange and crimson autumn colours of any hawthorn.
(Surcharges apply for Highlands & Islands. Click for delivery info)
Please call our office on (01530) 413700
Order before 20th December for Christmas delivery
Popular and handsome selection, Crataegus prunifolia 'Splendens' has probably the finest display of rich orange and crimson autumn colours of any hawthorn. These splendid autumn colours are complemented by large clusters of shiny red fruit which last well into late autumn.
The leaves are bright green in the spring and summer. A reliable garden tree with excellent autumn interest!
- Position: Full sun or partial shade.
- Soil: Any fertile soil. Crataegus prunifolia 'Splendens' is notably successful on a chalk soil!
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Flowering Period: April - May.
- Flower Colour: White
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Crataegus prunifolia 'Splendens' grows to be a small branching, rounded tree once established.
- Height: 8 m (26 ft).
- Spread: 6 m (20 ft).
- Notes: We have a specimen of Crataegus prunifolia 'Splendens', planted in the arboretum surrounding our nursery. At 12 years old, it had reached a height of 3.5 m and a spread of 3 m. This garden is open to the public and this plant can be viewed all year round.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Eventual Size
- Tree - Small (under 20 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy), Soil Type: Acid, Soil Type: Chalky / Alkaline, Special: Coastal Areas, Soil Type: Dry / Sandy, Soil Type: Damp / Wet, Special: Windy & Exposed
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour, Good for Wildlife (Insects including bees & butterflies), Fruit - Ornamental, Good for Wildlife (Birds)
You might also like