- On sale!
Corylus avellana 'Contorta'
(Corkscrew Hazel or Harry Lauder's Walking Stick) An exceptionally popular, ornamental plant with twisted stems, Corylus avellana 'Contorta' was first found in a Gloucestershire hedgerow in the mid-nineteenth century.
(Delivery within approximately 5 - 8 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
An exceptionally popular, ornamental plant with twisted stems, Corylus avellana 'Contorta' was first found in a Gloucestershire hedgerow in the mid-nineteenth century. This original plant can still be found growing at Myddelton House in Middlesex.
It has amazing, gnarled and twisted branches and forms a dense rounded shrub. The contorted branches have great interest all year round, especially winter and it also has masses of small, creamy-white catkins in early spring. A superb shrub with year round interest!
- Position: Full sun or partial shade.
- Soil: Any fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Flowering Period: January to March (Catkins).
- Rate of Growth: Slow.
- Habit: Corylus avellana 'Contorta' grows to be a medium sized or eventually large, densely branching shrub with contorted, twisting stems.
- Height: up to 3 m (10 ft) in many years.
- Spread: 3 m (10 ft).
- Notes: The twisted stems of Corylus avellana 'Contorta' are often used to help create eye-catching flower arrangements.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Mature Size
- Shrub - Medium (5 - 10 ft tall), Shrub - Large (over 10 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy), Soil Type: Chalky / Alkaline, Special: Coastal Areas, Soil Type: Damp / Wet, Soil Type: Dry / Sandy
- Special Features
- Catkins, To grow in a pot, Ornamental Bark / Colourful Winter Stems
You might also likeRegular price £22.50 -10% New Price Each £20.25
New Price Each £35.00New Price Each £35.00New Price Each £19.95New Price Each £45.00New Price Each £35.00New Price Each £15.00
- On sale!