Corylus avellana 'Red Majestic'
(Contorted Purple-leaved Hazel) A handsome new introduction to the United Kingdom, Corylus avellana 'Red Majestic' is a contorted hazel with beautiful, deep purple leaves in spring and summer.
(Delivery within approximately 3 - 5 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
A handsome new introduction to the United Kingdom, Corylus avellana 'Red Majestic' is a contorted hazel with beautiful, deep purple leaves in spring and summer. The twigs and branches have the same intricately contorted appearance and masses of small, pink/purple catkins appear in later winter or early spring.
Corylus avellana 'Red Majestic' is an eye-catching garden plant with year round interest.
- Position: Full sun or partial shade.
- Soil: Any fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Flowering Period: January to March (Catkins).
- Rate of Growth: Slow.
- Habit: Corylus avellana 'Red Majestic' grows to be a medium sized or eventually large, densely branching shrub with contorted, twisting stems.
- Height: up to 3 m (10 ft).
- Spread: 3 m (10 ft).
- Notes: The twisted stems of Corylus avellana 'Red Majestic' can be used to help create eye-catching flower arrangements.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun
- Mature Size
- Shrub - Medium (5 - 10 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy), Soil Type: Chalky / Alkaline, Special: Coastal Areas, Soil Type: Damp / Wet, Soil Type: Dry / Sandy
- Special Features
- Catkins, Leaf Colour - Purple/Red, Ornamental Bark / Colourful Winter Stems, To grow in a pot