Cornus angustata 'Empress of China'
(Flowering Dogwood) New to us, Cornus angustata 'Empress of China' is a rare, very small, semi-evergreen tree once established with masses of creamy white bracts in early summer once established.
(Delivery within approximately 3 - 5 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
New to us, Cornus angustata 'Empress of China' is a rare, very small, semi-evergreen tree once established with masses of creamy white bracts in early summer once established. The leaves are bright green in colour and will stay on during mild winters with some being lost if the weather turns very cold. Eye-catching red fruit follow the flower bracts in warm summers. .
In the UK Cornus angustata 'Empress of China' will give its best display of flower bracts if planted in a warm, sunny position sheltered from cold winds..
- Position: Full sun.
- Soil: Well drained, fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Flowering Period: June.
- Flower Colour: Creamy white
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Cornus angustata 'Empress of China' grows to be a large shrub or eventually very small tree branching tree.
- Height: 4 - 5 m (13 - 16 ft).
- Spread: 3 - 4 m (10 - 13 ft).
- Notes: The flowering of this Cornus is somewhat dependant upon the previous years summer weather. After a long hot summer, the following years flowering will be magnificent and after a cold, wet summer the following years flowering will be poor or sporadic.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun
- Mature Size
- Shrub - Large (over 10 ft tall), Tree - Small (under 20 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy), Soil Type: Acid
- Special Features
- Evergreen, Flowering Season - Summer (June - August), Fruit - Ornamental, Rare and Unusual