Cornus kousa 'Miss Satomi'
(Flowering Dogwood) Named after the grand daughter of a Japanese nurseryman, this is an exceptionally free flowering large shrub or eventually very small tree with masses of large, rich-pink flower bracts in June. Also known for its vivid purple-red autumn colour.
Usually has the best flower bract display once established when planted in a position with plenty of sun. Very suitable for growing in a large container.
Spend £85+ on plants and get £10 off with code DECEMBER23 at checkout
Standard - £6.95*
(Free for orders over £65)
Priority - £15
(Within 1-2 working days)
Click & Collect
Named after the grand daughter of a Japanese nurseryman, Cornus kousa 'Miss Satomi' is an exceptionally free flowering selection with masses of large, rich-pink flower bracts in June. On occasions white flowers may be borne, sometimes on the north side of the plant whilst the south facing aspect has pink flowers.
The leaves are bright green, turning shades of red and orange before falling in autumn. After flowering, large ornamental red /or yellow fruit can be produced in a hot summer. A stunning garden plant!
- Position: Full sun.
- Soil: Well drained, fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy
- Flowering Period: June - July.
- Flower Colour: Rich pink
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Cornus kousa 'Miss Satomi' grows to be a large shrub or eventually spreading small tree.
- Height: up to 5 m (16 ft).
- Spread: 6 m ( 20 ft).
- Notes: The flowering of Cornus kousa 'Miss Satomi' is somewhat dependant upon the previous years summer weather. After a long hot summer, the following years flowering will be magnificent and after a cold, wet summer the following years flowering will be poor or sporadic.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun
- Eventual Size
- Shrub - Large (3m+), Tree - Small (4m - 8m)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Dry/Sandy, Soil: Acid, Soil: Not Fussy, Site: Coastal Areas, Site: Windy
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour, Suitable for Containers, Fruit - Ornamental, Flowers in Summer, Rare and Unusual