(Wintersweet) A popular semi-evergreen plant native to the woods and hills of China, Chimonanthus praecox has fantastic, sweetly scented, creamy-yellow flowers in winter on mature plants.
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. Free P&P for orders over £250
Please call our office on (01530) 413700
A popular semi-evergreen plant native to the woods and hills of China, Chimonanthus praecox has fantastic, sweetly scented, creamy-yellow flowers in winter on mature plants. The flowers scent is exquisite and dried flowers can be used to create home-made pot-pourri.
In our opinion, Chimonanthus praecox should be planted in an area of the garden close to the house or garden path, for example near a back door, where the fragrance can be appreciated in the depths of winter!
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Fertile, well-drained soils.
- Hardiness: Hardy. Chimonanthus praecox will flower better if planted in a warm area, sheltered from strong winds.
- Flowering Period: December - February.
- Flower Colour: Creamy yellow
- Rate of Growth: Moderate
- Habit: Chimonanthus praecox grows to be a medium sized shrub with a branching, rounded crown once established.
- Height: 2.5 m (8 ft) - 3 m (10 ft)
- Spread: up to 3 m (10 ft)
- Notes: Chimonanthus praecox can be pruned to remove any dead material after flowering if required.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Mature Size
- Shrub - Medium (5 - 10 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Chalky / Alkaline, Special: Coastal Areas
- Special Features
- Flowering Season - Winter (December - February), Scented, To grow in a pot
You might also like