Cercidiphyllum japonicum 'Magma'
(Katsura Tree) New to us, Cercidiphyllum japonicum 'Magma' is a compact deciduous shrub or eventually very small, often multi-stemmed tree with vibrant purple-bronze young leaves in Spring which gradually turn green in summer. Excellent autumn colour. Can be grown in a large container if required.
Spend £85+ on plants and get £10 off with code DECEMBER23 at checkout
Standard - £6.95*
(Free for orders over £65)
Priority - £15
(Within 1-2 working days)
Click & Collect
An unusual, hardy deciduous shrub or eventually small tree with dark purple-bronze spring leaves whith the leaves turning to green later in summer. Vibrant purple and orange autumn colour once established with the leaves smelling of burnt sugar as they crisp up and fall in autumn.
Most suitable for a position in sun or dappled shade with shelter from strong winds. Best autumn colour in lime free soil.
- Position: Sheltered area in full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Moist but well drained, acidic soils. Will tolerate some lime but will grow better and produce more vivid autumn colour in acid soil.
- Hardiness: Very hardy but vulnerable to late spring frosts as a young plant, although it usually recovers well. Grows best in an area sheltered from strong winds (this also allows the tree to keep its autumn colour for as long as possible).
- Rate of Growth: Generally slow growing initially then moderate.
- Habit: Cercidiphyllum japonicum 'Magma' grows to be a small very rounded tree.
- Height: up to 3 - 4 m (10 - 14 ft)
- Spread: 3 m (10 ft)
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Light Shade
- Eventual Size
- Tree - Small (4m - 8m), Shrub - Large (3m+)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Acid, Soil: Not Fussy
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour, Scented, Rare and Unusual, Foliage - Purple/Red