Cercidiphyllum japonicum 'Pendulum'
(Weeping Katsura Tree) Cercidiphyllum japonicum 'Pendulum' is an unusual, graceful small or eventually medium sized tree with long pendulous branches covered with heart-shaped leaves.
(However due to high demand we are currently shipping orders within 6 - 10 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. Free P&P for orders over £250
A beautiful weeping tree, Cercidiphyllum japonicum 'Pendulum' has trailing branches and heart-shaped leaves which are tinted red when young and change to lush green by summer. The slender, weeping branches are particularly beautiful when overhanging ponds or streams.
The foliage turns spectacular shades of yellow and red in a good autumn and as the leaves fall from the tree late in the year, they give off an aroma similar to burnt sugar or candy floss. An unusual and spectacular, weeping garden tree.
- Position: Sheltered area in full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Moist but well drained, acidic soils. Cercidiphyllum japonicum 'Pendulum' will tolerate some lime but will grow better and produce more vivid autumn colour in lime free or acid soils.
- Hardiness: Hardy. Cercidiphyllum japonicum 'Pendulum' requires shelter from strong winds.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Eventually a medium sized tree with graceful, weeping branches.
- Height: 10 m (32 ft)
- Spread: 10 m (32 ft)
- Notes: This plant is also known as Cercidiphyllum japonicum 'Morioka Weeping'.
One of the most beautiful of all weeping trees with 'fountains' of arching branches on established trees. Very long lived, it will become a large tree in several hundred years time but is effectively a small to medium sized tree in a normal lifespan! The origin of this rare form can be traced to a tree found by monks in Morioka, Japan.
They discovered a weeping tree and have cultivated it in the grounds of their monastery for many hundreds of years. Virtually all the weeping Cercidiphyllums in cultivation have originally been propagated from this old specimen in Northern Honshu.
- How Much Sun
- Partial or Dappled Shade, Full Sun
- Mature Size
- Tree - Small (under 20 ft tall), Tree - Medium (20 - 50 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Acid, Soil Type: Damp / Wet, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy)
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour, Habit - Weeping, Scented, To grow in a pot
You might also like