Catalpa bignonioides 'Aurea'
(Indian Bean Tree) Catalpa bignonioides 'Aurea' is a beautiful and distinctly mop-headed, golden-leaved tree which can be found growing in the wild in Southern North America and parts of Central America.
(Delivery within approximately 3 - 5 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
Catalpa bignonioides 'Aurea' is a beautiful and distinctly mop-headed, golden-leaved tree which can be found growing in the wild in Southern North America and parts of Central America. The leaves are large, soft, heart-shaped and golden-yellow, with the new foliage being flushed with purple.
When established this Catalpa will produce attractive panicles of white flowers with yellow and purple markings in a warm year. A colourful garden tree with eye-catching leaves!
- Position: Full sun.
- Soil: Fertile, well drained soil.
- Hardiness: Reasonably hardy. This Catalpa requires a sheltered position in Northern parts of the U.K. and grows best when planted in a position protected from strong winds.
- Flowering Period: June - July.
- Flower Colour: White with occasional yellow and purple markings
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Small tree with a branching, rounded crown once established.
- Height: 8 m (26 ft)
- Spread:6 m (20 ft)
- Notes: This Catalpa will grow in partial shade, but the leaves will be a lime green in colour rather than gold.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun
- Mature Size
- Tree - Small (under 20 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Special: Coastal Areas, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy), Soil Type: Dry / Sandy, Soil Type: Chalky / Alkaline
- Special Features
- Flowering Season - Summer (June - August), Leaf Colour - Gold/Yellow, Honey Fungus Resistant
- On sale!