Abelia x grandiflora
(Glossy Abelia) Abelia x grandiflora is a handsome medium sized, semi-evergreen shrub with arching branches and masses of white (tinted pink) flowers in summer.
Abelia x grandiflora is a beautiful, medium sized, semi-evergreen shrub with arching branches and lightly scented, white flowers, lightly tinged with pink throughout late summer. The flowers of Abelia x grandiflora are long lasting and stand out well against the dark green, glossy leaves.
As a semi-evergreen shrub, Abelia x grandiflora tends to be evergreen in mild winters but can loose its leaves in very cold periods.
Superb choice of shrub for planting as part of a low maintenance mixed border, growing in a container or against a wall or fence.
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Any fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy. Abelia x grandiflora requires shelter from cold winter winds.
- Flowering Period: July - October
- Flower Colour: Pale pinkish-white
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Abelia x grandiflora grows to be a medium sized or eventually large, rounded, densely branching shrub.
- Height: up to 2.5 m (8 ft)
- Spread: 3 m (10 ft)
- Pruning: Abelia x grandiflora should be pruned in late spring to the required shape/size or remove any dead or damaged wood if required.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Light Shade
- Eventual Size
- Shrub - Medium (1.5m - 3m)
- Growing Conditions
- Site: Coastal Areas, Soil: Acid, Soil: Alkaline, Soil: Not Fussy, Soil: Dry/Sandy
- Special Features
- Scented, Flowers in Summer, Wildlife Friendly - Bees, Suitable for Containers, Evergreen, Honey Fungus Resistant