Buddleja davidii 'Royal Red'
(Butterfly Bush) Grown for its superb flowers, this is a deciduous medium sized to large shrub with long clusters of fragrant deep purple-red flowers in mid to late summer. Very popular with insects including bees and butterflies.
Grown for its superb flowers, this is a deciduous medium sized to large shrub with long clusters of fragrant deep purple-red flowers in mid to late summer. The leaves are pale grey-green and the long lasting flowers appear on long, arching branches.
Best flower display in a position with plenty of sun..
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Well drained, fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Flowering Period: July - September.
- Flower Colour: Purple-red
- Rate of Growth: Vigorous.
- Habit: Buddleja davidii 'Royal Red' grows to be a large branching, rounded shrub if left unpruned.
- Height: up to 2.5 - 3 m (10 ft)
- Spread: 3 m (10 ft)
- Pruning: To encourage flowering and keep a tidy habit, prune Buddleja davidii 'Royal Red' back hard to a bud in February or March.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Light Shade
- Eventual Size
- Shrub - Medium (1.5m - 3m), Shrub - Large (3m+)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Acid, Soil: Alkaline, Soil: Damp/Wet, Soil: Dry/Sandy, Soil: Not Fussy, Site: Coastal Areas, Site: Windy
- Special Features
- Wildlife Friendly - Bees, Flowers in Summer