(Weeping Butterfly Bush) An unusual shrub native to parts of China, Buddleja alternifolia has elegant, arching branches covered with masses of fragrant, lilac flowers in early to mid summer.
(Delivery within approximately 3 - 5 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
An unusual shrub native to parts of China, Buddleja alternifolia has elegant, arching branches covered with masses of fragrant, lilac flowers in early to mid summer. The leaves are ornamental in their own right, being lush green, fine and willow-like.
Lovely garden plant which can be trained up a supporting thin stake/bamboo cane or on wires against a sunny wall or fence to create a particularly good weeping display of branches.
- Position: Full sun.
- Soil: Well drained, fertile soil. Buddleja alternifolia will not usually do well in wet or waterlogged soil.
- Hardiness: Reasonably hardy. Enjoys some protection from cold winter winds.
- Flowering Period: June - July.
- Flower Colour: Lilac
- Rate of Growth: Moderate
- Habit: Medium sized, rounded shrub with long, arching branches.
- Height: 2 m (6 ft) - 3 m (10 ft)
- Spread: up to 3 m (10 ft)
- Pruning: Buddleja alternifolia benefits from some thinning and pruning of older branches after flowering to prevent them becoming tangled and untidy.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun
- Mature Size
- Shrub - Medium (5 - 10 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Dry / Sandy
- Special Features
- To grow in a pot