Betula utilis 'Mt Luoji'
(Himalayan birch) A rare Himalayan birch, Betula utilis 'Mt Luoji' has handsome peeling, dark chocolate-brown bark tinted dark red or orange in places with a creamy white bloom once established.
Spend £85+ on plants and get £10 off with code DECEMBER23 at checkout
Standard - £6.95*
(Free for orders over £65)
Priority - £15
(Within 1-2 working days)
Click & Collect
A rare Himalayan birch, Betula utilis 'Mt Luoji' has handsome peeling, dark chocolate-brown bark tinted dark red or orange in places with a creamy white bloom once established. If planted in a sunny spot, the peeling bark can appear to glow orange and gold when back-lit by the sun.
The bark does take several years to fully develop and this grows to be a medium sized tree once established. Avoid planting in areas prone to sitting wet over winter or waterlogging.
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Any fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate to vigorous.
- Habit: Betula utilis var. jacquemonti 'Mt Luoji' grows to be a medium sized, slender tree.
- Height: approx 10 - 12 m (32 - 40 ft)
- Spread: 6 - 8 m (20 - 26 ft)
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Light Shade
- Eventual Size
- Tree - Medium (8m - 15m)
- Growing Conditions
- Site: Windy, Soil: Alkaline, Soil: Acid, Soil: Not Fussy
- Special Features
- Ornamental Bark