- Sold Out
(Monkey Puzzle) Araucaria araucana is majestic and well known tree with an architectural habit and branches, covered with thick, scale-like, triangular leaves, dark green and broad at the base, with razor-sharp edges.
Sent by courier. Free delivery for orders over £75*
Surcharges apply for P&P to Highlands & Islands*
For assistance or to order by phone call our office on 01530 413700
Majestic and well known tree with an architectural habit and branches, covered with thick, scale-like, triangular leaves, dark green and broad at the base, with razor-sharp edges.
Araucaria araucana is native to Central Chile, parts of Western Argentina and named after the Arauco province of Chile, inhabited by the Araucano Indians where it was first noticed by westerners. Once established the monkey puzzle can produce edible, arrowhead-like nuts and the trunk of a mature specimen resembles an elephants foot. A superb standalone specimen or avenue tree.
Araucaria araucana are very slow growing whilst in containers and these young plants are absolutely not for instant gratification! Once established in position, the vigour picks up noticeably after a year or two.
- Position: Full sun.
- Soil: Well drained, fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Rate of Growth: Very slow until established then moderate.
- Habit: Eventually a large tree with a branching, upright habit.
- Height: up to 25 m (82 ft).
- Spread: 10 m (32 ft).
- Notes: Araucaria araucana is initially slow growing. After one or two years, once established, it starts to grow at a more vigorous rate. Araucaria araucana thrives in coastal areas, particularly in the South-west of the U.K. and it is said that eighteen established, good-sized trees can provide enough nuts for an adult's sustenance all year round!
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun
- Eventual Size
- Tree - Large
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Dry/Sandy, Soil: Not Fussy, Site: Coastal Areas
- Special Features
- Evergreen, Habit - Architectural
- On sale!
- On sale!