(Big Leaved Pepper Vine) Ampelopsis megalophylla is a medium sized climber with huge green leaves (up to 50-60 cm) which turn bright red, pink & orange in autumn before falling.
Spend £85+ on plants and get £10 off with code DECEMBER23 at checkout
Standard - £6.95*
(Free for orders over £65)
Priority - £15
(Within 1-2 working days)
Click & Collect
An eye-catching climber native to China, Ampelopsis megalophylla has huge green leaves (up to 50-60 cm long) when mature which turn bright red, pink and orange in autumn before falling. The profusion of small, green flowers in summer are followed by rose pink berries that ripen to black contrasting well with the pretty autumn colour.
Although Ampelopsis megalophylla has a somewhat delicate appearance it is hardy and fairly vigorous, looking great when grown over large pergolas and arbours. A specimen growing up an old tree in our arboretum also looks spectacular each autumn.
- Position:Full sun or partial shade.
- Soil: Moist, (but not waterlogged) fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Reasonably hardy. Ampelopsis megalophylla grows best in a warm position sheltered from cold winter winds.
- Rate of Growth: Vigorous
- Habit: Ampelopsis megalophylla eventually grows to be a medium sized climbing plant.
- Height: up to 4 - 5 m (13 - 16 ft)
- Spread: 4 m (12 ft)
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Light Shade
- Eventual Size
- Climber - Medium (2.5m - 4m)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Damp/Wet, Soil: Not Fussy
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour, Fruit - Ornamental