- Sold Out
Amelanchier ovalis 'Edelweiss'
(Snowy Mespilus) Amelanchier ovalis 'Edelweiss' is an unusual small tree once established with masses of eye-catching, relatively large white flowers in spring.
Sent by courier. Free delivery for orders over £75*
Surcharges apply for P&P to Highlands & Islands*
For assistance or to order by phone call our office on 01530 413700
An unusual Amelanchier with gorgeous clusters of white flowers in spring which is native to parts of Central and Southern Europe. This particular cultivar has superb 8 - 12 cm long panicles of eye-catching flowers in late spring.
The leaves are a silvery colour when young, darkening to cool green in spring and summer before turning shades of orange, red and yellow in a good, crisp autumn. Once established, after flowering it will produce small black fruit in mid to late summer which are popular with birds.
In our experience although lovely once established, Amelanchier ovalis 'Edelweiss' tends not to grow as strongly as the others listed on our website and can be slower to form a nice shape. Because of this is is generally better suited to keen and patient gardeners!
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Any well drained, fertile soil. Amelanchier ovalis 'Edelweiss' will tolerate chalky soils.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Flowering Period: April.
- Rate of Growth: Slow to moderate.
- Habit: Amelanchier ovalis 'Edelweiss' grows to be a large shrub or very small branching tree with a rounded crown.
- Height: 4 m (13 ft) (up to 2.5 m after 10 years)
- Spread: 4 m (13 ft) (up to 2.5 m after 10 years)
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Light Shade
- Eventual Size
- Tree - Small
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Acid, Soil: Not Fussy, Soil: Damp/Wet
- Special Features
- Flowers in Spring, Autumn Colour