(Yellowhorn or Chinese Flowering Chestnut) A lovely, deciduous small tree native to northern China, Xanthoceras sorbifolium has beautiful upright panicles of large white flowers with a deep red centre in late spring.
(However due to high demand we are currently shipping orders within 6 - 10 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. Free P&P for orders over £250
A lovely, deciduous small tree native to northern China, Xanthoceras sorbifolium has beautiful upright panicles of large white flowers with a deep red centre in late spring. The leaves are pale green and pinnate and similar in appearance to those of a Sorbus (Mountain Ash).
In a good, warm position Xanthoceras sorbifolium will produce walnut-like fruit that contain chestnut-like seeds. An unusual choice for a woodland garden or sunny border.
- Position: Full sun or partial shade.
- Soil: Well drained, fertile soil including chalk.
- Hardiness: Hardy. Xanthoceras sorbifolium enjoys shelter from cold winter winds.
- Flowering Period: May - June
- Flower Colour: White with a red centre
- Rate of Growth: Slow until established then moderate.
- Habit: Very small branching tree with an upright habit in the U.K.
- Height: up to 6 m (20 ft).
- Spread: 2.5 m (8 ft).
- Notes: Xanthoceras sorbifolium will flower best in a hot, sunny garden.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun, Partial or Dappled Shade
- Mature Size
- Tree - Small (under 20 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Chalky / Alkaline, Soil Type: Dry / Sandy
- Special Features
- Flowering Season - Spring (March - May), To grow in a pot, Rare and Unusual, Leaf Shape - Unusual or Large
You might also like