Vitis vinifera 'Purpurea'
(Purple-leaved Vine) Vitis vinifera 'Purpurea' is a lovely vine with burgundy-purple foliage all summer with the young growing tips an attractive, dusty grey.
(However due to high demand we are currently shipping orders within 6 - 10 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. Free P&P for orders over £250
A lovely vine with burgundy-purple foliage all summer with the young growing tips an attractive, dusty grey. Vitis vinifera 'Purpurea' is particularly handsome when grown against pale brickwork or when associated and grown through grey leaved trees and shrubs.
The colourful leaves give Vitis vinifera 'Purpurea' interest from spring until autumn.
- Position: Full sun or partial shade.
- Soil: Well drained, fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Flowering Period: May - June.
- Flower Colour: White
- Rate of Growth: Vigorous.
- Habit: Medium to large climbing plant which requires support as it will not self-cling.
- Height: 8 m (26 ft)
- Spread: 3 m (10 ft)
- Notes: Pruning should be carried out in winter when the plants are dormant if required. When planted in a warm, sunny spot Vitis vinifera 'Purpurea' can produce small clusters of ornamental grapes, although they tend to have a slightly bitter flavour.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun
- Mature Size
- Climber - Medium (10 - 20 ft), Climber - Large (over 20 ft)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy), Soil Type: Chalky / Alkaline, Special: Coastal Areas, Soil Type: Dry / Sandy, Special: Windy & Exposed
- Special Features
- Leaf Colour - Purple/Red, Autumn Colour
You might also like