Vitis vinifera 'Purpurea'
(Purple-leaved Vine) Vitis vinifera 'Purpurea' is a lovely vine with burgundy-purple foliage all summer with the young growing tips an attractive, dusty grey.
Spend £85+ on plants and get £10 off with code DECEMBER23 at checkout
Standard - £6.95*
(Free for orders over £65)
Priority - £15
(Within 1-2 working days)
Click & Collect
A lovely vine with burgundy-purple foliage all summer with the young growing tips an attractive, dusty grey. Vitis vinifera 'Purpurea' is particularly handsome when grown against pale brickwork or when associated and grown through grey leaved trees and shrubs.
The colourful leaves give Vitis vinifera 'Purpurea' interest from spring until autumn.
- Position: Full sun or partial shade.
- Soil: Well drained, fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Hardy.
- Flowering Period: May - June.
- Flower Colour: White
- Rate of Growth: Vigorous.
- Habit: Medium to large climbing plant which requires support as it will not self-cling.
- Height: 8 m (26 ft)
- Spread: 3 m (10 ft)
- Notes: Pruning should be carried out in winter when the plants are dormant if required. When planted in a warm, sunny spot Vitis vinifera 'Purpurea' can produce small clusters of ornamental grapes, although they tend to have a slightly bitter flavour.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun
- Eventual Size
- Climber - Medium (2.5m - 4m), Climber - Large (4m+)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil: Not Fussy, Soil: Alkaline, Site: Coastal Areas, Soil: Dry/Sandy, Site: Windy
- Special Features
- Foliage - Purple/Red, Autumn Colour