Liquidambar acalycina 'Burgundy Flush'
(Chinese Sweet Gum ) An unusual tree native to Eastern Asia, Liquidambar acalycina 'Burgundy Flush' has three lobed, maple-like leaves which emerge as a vivid burgundy-purple colour in spring.
(Surcharges apply for Highlands & Islands. Click for delivery info)
Please call our office on (01530) 413700
Order before 20th December for Christmas delivery
An unusual tree native to Eastern Asia, Liquidambar acalycina 'Burgundy Flush' has three lobed, maple-like leaves which emerge as a vivid burgundy-purple colour in spring. These leaves slowly darken to green as they age in summer, before turning a translucent red in autumn before they fall.
Liquidambar acalycina 'Burgundy Flush' is a handsome garden tree with both spring and autumn colour!
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Moist, fertile soil. Liquidambar acalycina 'Burgundy Flush' will grow well in most areas but will produce its most bright and vivid autumn colour in lime free or acidic soils.
- Hardiness: Reasonably hardy. Young plants can suffer die back after very severe late spring frosts, but usually recover well.
- Rate of Growth: Moderate.
- Habit: Liquidambar acalycina 'Burgundy Flush' grows to be a medium sized branching tree.
- Height: 15 m (50 ft).
- Spread: 8 m (26 ft).
- Notes: The above height and spread is a good estimate for the Midlands. In the south of the U.K., this may grow to be a slightly larger trees and in the north of the U.K., slightly smaller. We have a specimen of Liquidambar acalycina 'Burgundy Flush', planted in the arboretum surrounding our nursery. At 6 years old, it had reached a height of 2.5 m and a spread of 1.5 m.
- How Much Sun
- Full Sun
- Eventual Size
- Tree - Medium (20 - 50 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Special: Coastal Areas, Soil Type: Acid, Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy), Soil Type: Damp / Wet
- Special Features
- Autumn Colour, Leaf Colour - Purple/Red
You might also like