(Chusan Palm or Windmill Palm) Native to parts of Central and Eastern China, Trachycarpus fortunei has handsome large leaves and is the only palm hardy inland in the United Kingdom.
(Delivery within approximately 3 - 5 working days)
Surcharges apply for Highlands/Islands. We cannot deliver to Northern Ireland or Eire.
Native to parts of Central and Eastern China, Trachycarpus fortunei has handsome large leaves and is the only palm hardy inland in the United Kingdom. The leaves are fan-shaped, dark green and large, sometimes up to 100 cm (3 ft) wide on an established specimen . The leaves sit atop a fibrous, hairy, brown trunk.
Trachycarpus fortunei is a lovely yet slow growing garden tree with an exotic appearance. Not for instant gratification but lovely once established and can be grown well in a pot for many years if required.
- Position: Full sun or light, dappled shade.
- Soil: Well drained, fertile soil.
- Hardiness: Reasonably hardy. Trachycarpus fortunei requires protection from cold winter winds.
- Flowering Period: May - June.
- Flower Colour: Yellowish-white
- Rate of Growth: Very slow.
- Habit: Eventually a small tree with a narrow, upright habit.
- Height: up to 10 m (32 ft)
- Spread: 2 m (6 ft)
- Notes: Trachycarpus fortunei is very slow growing and can take 100 years to reach the above height.
- How Much Sun
- Partial or Dappled Shade, Full Sun
- Mature Size
- Tree - Small (under 20 ft tall)
- Growing Conditions
- Soil Type: Most Soils (not to fussy), Special: Coastal Areas, Soil Type: Dry / Sandy
- Special Features
- Habit - Narrow, Fruit - Ornamental, Honey Fungus Resistant, To grow in a pot, Evergreen, Flowering Season - Summer (June - August), Leaf Shape - Unusual or Large